The Pomoravski District expands in the central part of the Republic. It encompasses
the municipalities of: Jagodina, Cuprija, Paracin, Svilajnac, Despotovac, and Rekovac. It
has a population of 312,160. Seat of the District is in the city of Jagodina.
The nineteenth century architecture has been partly preserved in the town. Earlier times
are witnessed by the remnants of the edifices such as The House of Haiduk Veljko from
the seventeenth century. Particularly interesting is the Old Church of Archangel
Michael, the endowment of Milos Obrenovic, built in 1818.
The Josanica Monastery was built in the late seventeenth century at the time of Despot
Djurad Brankovic's reign, and is regarded the finest medieval building of this region.
In the vicinity of Cuprija stands the Ravanica monastery with the Church of Assumption,
the endowment of Prince Lazar, built between 1375 and 1377. After the death of King
Lazar in the Battle of Kosovo, his holy relics were safeguarded there all until 1690,
when their three-century-long moving together with the Serb people started, as to be
finally returned to his endowment today.
The Resava-Manasija monastery is located in the immediate vicinity of Despotovac. The
Resava endowment of Despot Stefan Lazarevic was built between 1407 and 1418. Over
the fifteenth century the famous Resava School carried out its work there, in the
framework of several workshops in which major texts of the world heritage were copied
and the new ones written. Konstantin the Philosopher, the author of the "Hagiography of
Despot Stefan" and the "Book on Letters" which regulated the then current Orthography
of Serb language, carried out his creative work in the Resava monastery.
In economic sector, the most prominent in the Pomoravski District are the "Jagodina"
Cable Factory, one of the leading in that field in the Europe, and the "Jagodina"
District Seat ADDRESS
35000 Jagodina, 80a Kneg. Milice St.
Tel./Fax: 035-221 516, 224 515