North Banat District
The NORTH BANAT District expands in the northern parts of the Republic. It
encompasses the municipalities of: Kanjiza, Senta, Ada, Coka, Novi Knezevac, and
Kikinda. It has a population of 179,783. Seat of the District is in the city of Kikinda.
In Kikinda was founded the first Serb printing-house, in 1878, to be followed a year later
by the opening of the first library.
This city is also reputable for its painters, including Teodor Ilic Cesljar (13th cent.),
Nikola Aleksic (19th cent.), Djura Pecic (late 19th cent.), and Djura Jaksic, a painter
Kikinda was the scene of the first theatrical performance, given in German, long back
ago, in 1796.
Kikinda is the center of the Yugoslav clay building materials production, as a seat of
the IGM DD "Toza Markovic" company, which is the oldest clay producer in Europe.
The "Kikinda" foundry is the major Yugoslav producer and exporter of grinders. Also the
"25 maj" factory of agricultural machines and equipment, and the "Electron" are the
factories running production for both the local and foreign markets.
District Seat ADDRESS
23300 Kikinda, 12 Srpskih dobrovoljaca
Tel./Fax: 023- 21 008, 22 921