The Astronomic Observatory in Zvezdara built. From the first day it was called - Zvezdarnica. The whole district was named after it – Zvezdara.
On December 16th 1934, the King Alexander I Bridge (the chain bridge) on River Sava was inaugurated, the first Belgrade road bridge. It was built on the two reinforced-concrete pillars in Serb-Byzantine style. The pillars were standing on the pylons, and in between were steel ropes holding the entire bridge construction. The bridge was blown up in 1941, and replaced with the current Brankov Most Bridge after the WW II.
The first bridge on the Danube, Pancevo Bridge, was inaugurated. It was destroyed in the WW II, and the current bridge was built on its place.
In 1935, the first bus line to Zemun was opened.
Belgrade was proclaimed a tourist locality. It had 23 hotels, 433 taverns, 427 barrooms, 412 restaurants serving national dishes, 293 dairy restaurants and 318 inns. In order to improve the tourism, several short films about Belgrade, representative tourist poster were made and a Belgrade guidebook “Vodj po Beogradu” published.
In 1936 a ski jump intended for jumps within 40 m was built in Kosutnjak near Belgrade, by the project of engineer Boudek, the constructor of ski jump at Planica. Due to inadequate weather conditions and lack of visitors, it was never used for ski jumping. It was destroyed in the WW II. In the same year, a ski jump intended for jumps within 20 m was built on Mt. Avala, but it also played a modest role in the development of ski jumping, for it was mostly used by unorganized individuals.
Preparations for the building of a residential block on the other bank of River Sava, on the location of current Usce Building, launched.
On March 31st 1937, the Music Academy as the highest institution for theatrical, artistic and education in music was established. The first president was a composer and musicologist Kosta Manjlovic.
On March 31st 1937, the Academy of Arts was opened as the highest institution for artistic education, and on July 29th 1939 it was transformed into the Academy of the Art of Painting. Secondary school of fine arts worked within this artistic school.
On September 11th 1937, the first Belgrade fairgrounds opened. It was located at the Zemun riverbank of River Sava, close to the chain bridge destroyed in the WW II. The fairgrounds covered the space of 21,000 square meters. The first Fair was held from September 11th to 23rd 1937. It was attended by 883 exhibitors, out of which 99 from Europe and overseas-countries. The fair exhibits were held twice a year, in spring and autumn. During the WW II, the Germans turned the fair and the nearby building site into the notorious concentration camp. Its remains still exist today. The location on River Sava, under the “Brankov Most” Bridge, is today called “Staro sajmiste” (old fairgrounds).
The School of fine arts in 4 Kralja Petra I Street was founded. It was transformed into an academy in 1948, and in 1973 it was promoted into a faculty of the Belgrade University. The founder of the school was a sculptor Milan Nedeljkovic.
In 1938, the building of the Belgrade foster home in Zvecanska St., intended for foundlings, orphans and poor children, was financed by the Nikola Spasic’s legacy funds. It was a five-story building, erected on the donated district grounds.
The first television program was broadcasted on the Belgrade fair at the stand of the Dutch company “Philips”.
In 1939, on the initiative of the actor Nikola Popovic, the Artistic theatre was founded as a continuance of a tradition of private professional theatres of Brana Cvetkovic and Dusan Zivotic. The theatre staged its plays at Kolarac National University and Kalemegdan summer stage.
On September 3rd 1939, the first Belgrade Grand Prix, the biggest automobile-race in the world in several categories (today Formula 1) was held. The racetrack circled Kalemegdan and the winner was an Italian, Nuvolari. The interesting part is that this was the only race in the world held in the WW II, which broke out two days earlier.
A film titled “Innocence without protection” (Nevinost bez zastite), advertised as the first Serbian hundred percent sound film involving Serbian language, song and music, was shown. The Belgrade acrobat Dragoljub Aleksic played the leading role. That year, 80,000 people in Belgrade saw this melodrama.
On December 24th 1944 the first exhibition of paintings, after the liberation, was opened in Cvijeta Zuzoric Art Pavilion in Kalemegdan.
An open competition for the original urban plan for the left bank of River Sava, New Belgrade was announced.
On January 5th 1947, the first match between Partizan and Red Star was played on the YA stadium on the temperature of 19 degrees centigrade below zero, in front of 4,000 spectators. It will be remembered as the most exiting and dramatic game ever played. Jovan Jezerkic (Red Star) scored the first goal in the 12th minute, and achieved a hat trick (12th, 25th and 54th minute). This match started a decades-long rivalry between the two teams, the fans split into two groups, and the game between Partizan and Red Star became our most important football institution - the Eternal derby.
On May 1st 1947 the first
trolley was introduced on the Belgrade parade celebrating May 1st. The
first route Kalemegdan-Slavija was opened on June 12th the same year.